"Life is a balance of holding on and letting go."

Friday, October 10, 2014

Day 6: Florence

Dear Florence,
Nobody warned me of your charm and the love that I would have for you. 
But I left wanting more. 
I wanted more of your street performers, markets and your beautiful buildings.
I will come back to you. 
That is a must.

xoxo

We arrived into Florence late after Cinque Terre. 
Once we found our apartment we got settled in and then went to bed. 
We woke up early and hit the ground running. 
It was a little rainy and this was the first day that we could put our jackets on. 
With all the heat we had in our previous days it was a welcomed changed. 

"We climbed 414 stairs to see this view of the city in the Duomo Bell Tower.  Our legs are burning but the view was incredible."  -instagram post 9/11/14


The Duomo in Florence was gorgeous.  
I liked the style of the city.
They used a lot of stripes. 
We found out we could climb to to the top of the Bell Tower and see the view of the city. 
So we climbed. 
and climbed.
and climbed. 
I thought I was going to have a panic attack with the tiny set of stairs that both the people going up and down were using.  
There was no fresh air and our heart was pumping with the 414 stairs we climbed.
But then the view looked like this. 
And I didn't want to go back down. 

My pal, Talia knows the way to my heart. 
She made me a giant bag of her granola before I left. 
We snacked on it during the first week. 
It was so tasty. 
Thanks, Talia!
We went and saw the Statue of David. 
This was the piece of art that left me breathless. 
He amount of detail Michelangelo put in that statue. 
and I knew it was big... but I didn't anticipate it being that large. 
We went to see the Church of Santa Croce.
We had walked through so many catholic churches while in Italy.
I started to feel a little Catholic. 
In fact, so Catholic this is the church that I made an offering and lit a candle. 
Tera and Keri were across the church and looked over right when I lit the candle. 
I just went for it. 
We couldn't stop laughing. 
I know my Aunt JoAn would have been proud.
People had told us to go and watch the sunset set at the Piazza de Michelangelo.
We climbed many stairs and hills to get to this overlook and it was absolutely breathtaking.
The view was stunning. 
The laughs continued as Tera tried to get on the balcony railing. 
Keri's love for Gelato was tested as the Gelati Festival was taking place there. 
And my heart was full for this city. 
"We ended our evening watching the sunset overlooking the city of Florence in the Piazza de Michelangelo.  Florence has been a real highlight for me.  Tomorrow lets see what Pisa and Lucca has in store for us."  
-instagram post 9/11/14
"Tower of Nutella.  Yes, please!  Hey Keri Mae how was your $10 Nutella Waffle?!" -instagram post 9/11/14

I could have spent several more days here in Florence. 
I wasn't ready to leave this city. 
It was so clean. 
And we had the perfect day. 
And I wish more than anything I would have shopped more in Florence. 
My purse and shoes were just not enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment